What is a NEXUS Card?
NEXUS is a "trusted traveller" program between Canada and the United States of America. "Trusted Traveller" programs are programs set up by various governments to allow pre-approved "trusted" travellers to skip on certain security and customs requirements.
With a NEXUS Card, you can use express lines at airports, express lanes at the US-Canada border, and even a NEXUS-only bridge in Niagara Falls.
How do I get a NEXUS Card?
In order to get a NEXUS Card, you must complete an application, submit the application by mail or online, and attend an interview at a NEXUS enrolment centre.
- Step 1 - Conditional Approval: CBSA and US CBP officers review your application to make sure you are eligible. If you are, you will be conditionally approved.
- Step 2 - Interview: You will then attend an interview where you will have to verify your information you provided on the application and provide your biometric information.
- Step 3 - Receive your card.
If you are approved, your card will be mailed to you. It is valid for 5 years, provided you abide by the guidelines.
How long does it take to get a NEXUS Card
There are three steps to get a first NEXUS Card. The first two steps of the process do not have set processing times.
- Step 1 - Conditional Approval: 2-10 weeks, depending on the time of year (summer applications always take longer)
- Step 2 - Interview: 1-40 business days, depending on both the enrolment centre (how busy they are) and the time of year (during the summer it takes longer)
- Step 3 - Receive your card in the mail: 10 days
What happens if I get refused?
Border Cards will not submit any application we believe has no chance of getting accepted. However, if we believe you have a chance for approval or, if you decide to apply even though we suggest you shouldn't, and your application is refused, we will refund your service fees. Your government fees cannot be refunded
Why should I use Border Cards for my NEXUS Card application?
Border Cards provides support for your application you cannot get anywhere else. We will help you with every aspect of your NEXUS application, helping you avoid unnecessary delays and possible refusal. We
- Ensure your application is mistake free
- Notify you of any missing information
- Inform you of any potential issues
- Inform you of your conditional approval or refusal
- Book your interview for you at your preferred location
- Find you a sooner interview date
- Help prepare you for your interview.